Sunday 28 September 2008

French medical services 101

Saturday was the day we admitted defeat. David's sprained (broken?) ankle wasn't going to suddenly get better. We would have to resort to asking for help!

The point had been reinfor
ced in Carol's mind by the reaction to her slightly catching David's foot during the night - he eventually came down from the ceiling!! This was sufficient to keep Carol awake the rest of the night thinking about how to handle a visit to the hospital. So when I awoke, I had no chance - I was going to the hospital. Argument? What argument?

Having gradually got to the point where I could hobble a bit, we set off for the front door - a fair trek in my condition. When we got there, I was just taking a breather before contemplating the long haul down to the main road (I probably haven't mentioned before that montee Desambrois, our road, is private and has a barrier at the bottom - to which we did not know the code!), when a neighbour (voisin) called out from his window words to the effect of
"Wait, I'll take you". You could have knocked me sideways (quite easily, actually, at present) - the kind of behaviour you would hope for but, sadly nowadays, would not really expect - and all this in French!!

George (for that was his name) got us to Hopital Saint Roche within minutes and we somewhat gingerly entered the reception for "Urgences". Ho
w efficient they all were! First we registered then were sent Guichet 3 for admission. Then, inevitably, on to Guichet 2 for payment - actually, just setting up our bill for later payment.

One point to remember in all this - 100% French being spoken - thank God for Carol as, I'm afraid, my mind was elsewhere.

We then had to wait for all of 5 minutes before being taken through to the Trauma department (I think that's what the sign said!) Again, after only a few minutes, we were taken into a treatment room to be interviewed by a young lady doctor (who seemed a little nervous but that could have been because of the language) who asked loads of questions about when and how it happened (so Carol tells me!). She obviously felt it warranted an X-ray because I was put into a wheelchair and rolled straight round, where, without further ado, my ankle was scanned.

If you're waiting for the delay, wait on - there weren't any! Next I was wheeled into another treatment where a doctor (or nurse?) took pity on me and spoke English, explaining that I would need crutches and should return in 4 days for further tests. I was then taken through to be strapped up - not one continuous strip but many individual strips - it's gonna hurt when they rip those of
f!!

Then it was off to the window to be discharged from Trauma where I was handed my X-rays (apparently they are my responsibility - may make an interesting light feature in the lounge!) and my prescription - some painkillers and, interestingly, a pair of "cannes anglais" - crutches. That's how it's done here!

Then it was back to Guichet 2 for final settling of the bill - I flashed my European Health Insurance Card but that led nowhere - apparently I claim back when I get home. The total bill was €52.50 - seemed cheap if yet another medical expense incurred on this relaxing holiday!!

This time it was Olivier, our landlord, who collected us ("it's all part of t
he package" is a favourite saying of his!) and took us home via the pharmacie - €28 including crutches - and they're mine to keep!

After all that excitement, I needed a lie down - so I did! However, we then felt emboldened to try visiting vieille ville - for that classic french combination, beer and curry! Caught the bus into town, walked (if you can call it that!) to AKAThor where it was suggested (i.e. I was ordered to obey) that 2 beers would be enough. After that, straight to Indian Lounge, a place we'd been to last year. What was really good was that most, if not all, of the other diners were french! We had a good dinner with an OK bottle of house red then walked to the tram stop. By now, our bus was no longer running so we caught the tram to the gare then got a taxi to montee Desambrois - a complete rip off at €10 but.....

Then to bed - it felt very well deserved by now!

1 comment:

Cath Hylton said...

Oh my god! I haven't read it for a couple of days and now discovered that you are at death's door. Poor Mum!!!

Hope the ankle and the spot are feeling better soon xxxxx